Thursday 2 December 2010

* LONDON TRIP & SHOOTS

I found Muybridge's work very interesting, more so for the techniques than some of the compositions he used. In my own work recently I've been focusing on using my DSLR manually and on the run up to the trip and after I've tried a couple of shoots (not very relevant composition wise to my project) which experiment with shutter speed. 
See here, here and here.
The flame thrower shoot was focused more on movement which is more relatable to Muybridge's work whereas Shoot 20 and 21 were investigating the effect of shutter speed on lighting, especially candles or low level artificial lighting.

In the "Shadow Catchers" exhibition the artist that seemed to jump out most at me was Susan Derges.I really like her artistic darkroom work especially the water droplets and floral arches. If I had more time I would like to experiment with some of these techniques in the darkroom however I might develop these skills in my exam rather than for my final piece in the coursework project. 

These were just some initial shoots on the coach up to London. They are probably one of the least visually attractive images I have seen however they got me thinking about shutter speed and movement, as it was snowing I would have really loved to capture some of the snow flakes but behind a piece of glass that is slightly tricky. This shoot would be a lot more successful if it was carried out somewhere with lots of colourful lorries or at for example a carnival so there is a lot more colour and interest, however for these images I converted them to black and white and increased the contrast which seems to give them a bleak almost spooky atmosphere. 



The Victoria & Albert. 

This sculpture was in the centre of the entrance hall and although it has little relevance to my project I thought it showed a nice representation of an artists mind, some many different ideas all flowing together yet going off randomly in different directions. 




LEOPARD PRINT SHOOT
The idea of this shoot was based around fashion using a shallow depth of field to make sure the model was the focus point. I thought the leopard print and fur coat was very seventies so I erased the models face to draw attention to these details. I also like the movement created in the background by a fairly slow shutter speed which gives the impression time is flying past but fashion always seems to stay still (or the same).

EDITS


RAWS








MITTONS SHOOT
This was a very quick shoot just experimenting with pattern inspired by Steven Meisel and looking into various compositions and poses. I'm also currently trying to develop my mixed media idea so while editing I tried incorporating song lyrics and drawings. I'm really pleased with how the first image came out however after trying the second idea I don't think I will be continuing (the spiders web). I do like the idea of editing heads onto different bodies or hand drawn on faces or blanked out faces altogether. See above, here and here.

EDITS




RAWS





SNOW & SHUTTER SPEED
After looking at Edward Muybridge's work and failing miserably to capture falling snow flakes on the bus I tried again. Because I used a fairly long shutter speed the snow looks more like rain however I really like the light spots in the first image. I edited the below photograph on picnik, using the cross process and 1960s filter. 

EDITS


RAWS



This was a greetings card I picked up in the V&A shop designed by the artist Rob Ryan. I really like the stencil type style to it and would like to experiment with this technique (maybe also incorporating layering) in my final shoots and pieces. This idea will be further discussed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment